Saturday, January 23, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness

So today on the bus....





visual: Rockin' classy black today, I wait for the bus in black lululemon athletica groove pants, a matching black jacket and a red tank underneath. My purple backpack weighed down calls for my lean on the navy blue beach cruiser.





Its been a long day at work. The weather in LA has been really gnarly. I am talking a downpour at 10:00am and then all out sunshine by 3:00pm. How do you even dress for this weather? I am so used to flip flops and tank tops, no matter the season. And go figure, I gave my HOT PINK rain boots to Goodwill just three months ago.





I wait for the bus to close out the day. Happy the rain has stopped and counting my quarters in my jacket. I think about my busy week last week, my choice of happiness and my intention to really slow it down and seek that quality and balance.





The bus finally arrives! Here I go again with my bike. I put my sustainable coffee cup on the sidewalk. Kickstand down. Rush to pull down the gate.Get my bike from sidewalk. Heave-ho, up it goes on to the front. What a pill! The front handle bars spin around and the basket is going crazy. I look up and wave to the bus driver. He smiles. I get that damn thing situated up there, grab my coffee cup and jump through the double doors. I thank him for his patience and he is chuckling a bit.





He tells me, "I would have helped, but the last time I did that, some lady just yelled at me!".





I smile at his sweet, chubby face and ask him why. He informs me that this woman just went nuts on him because he offered his help and she went all sexist remarks, asking him if he thought she couldn't do it on her own and that she didn't need him. Later she went home and burned all her bras, too. I am so sure.





I inform him that I do appreciate women that can hold their own and stand for that strength. I am one of them. But come on, I take all the help I can get. That bike's heavy. I remind him not to let one hard up feminist shape the reality of another!






He laughs and I sit down for the ride. A more silent crowd later this evening and not as many people as usual. I daydream all the way and finally we arrive at my stop. I rush to the front to get my bike and to tell the bus driver thank you!





He is out of his seat and already up front getting my bike off the rack for me. He sets it down lightly on the sidewalk and tips his hat.





I am in awe. I thank him so much and half hug him! No joke, that bike is really heavy. I mean, I can handle it. But hey, I am down to take a helping hand from my friends.





He jumps back into the drivers seat and rushes away down Wilshire. Now, I know I shared that I have been super busy the past couple weeks and missing all the inspirational greatness that happens in my life daily. And here it is. He got out of the drivers seat to help me. I just think that is amazing.





And who I was when I stepped on the bus was just thinking about my intentions and choosing happiness. And look at that, he helped me do just that. Right then and there.





That sweet, chubby-faced bus driver just made my evening with a bike lift. A randmon act of ultimate kindess.


Take help when help is available. People love helping others. It gives them a sense of purpose, a sense of being. I get so wrapped up in my ego some times. No, I don't need this or that. I am independent and can do it on my own! I don't need a ride in the pouring rain. I don't need a hug when the day has really gotten the best of me. When in honesty, I do. I'll take that ride. I'll take that hug. Yes, lift that heavy bike for me, please! And, thank you so very much.

Those random acts of kindess.

Make my world go around.

1 comment:

  1. You know, this is something that I think about often. It takes strength to admit that you need help. It's not a weakness. I think people get confused about that. I don't feel any less a strong, independent woman because of anything, and you know why? Because that's what I am. No person, no name, nothing can take that away from me. Rock on, sister!

    ReplyDelete